Table of contents
- Before you begin
- Device Requirements
- Guided Walkthrough
- Wrapping Up
- User guide for the previous release of Texture
- Make sure your device is connected to the internet
- Get the Texture app at the iTunes store
The current version of Texture is compatible with iPad 2, 3, 4, mini and Air running iOS 7 or above.
Click here to view the user guide for Texture's previous release which requires iOS 5 or above.
The User Guide provides you a hands-on tour of top features in the Texture app.
· One consistent experience: All titles in your personalized library are read through one easy-to-use app, with a common navigation method and consistent user interface throughout, so you can focus on the content and not how to use the app.
· Favorites, Categories and Collections: The app features two new organizing features:
- Favorites and Categories organize the magazine titles you enjoy most, either as favorites or categories such as Health & Fitness.
- Collections saves your favorite articles to come back to later. You can save them as Read Later, Ideas, Recipes or your own label.
· Smart and automatic downloading: The app features two download features called Smart Download and Automatic Download so large files and long download times don't get in the way of reading what you want right away.
· Carousel: The beautiful carousel experience allows you to visualize all the content available in the magazine and rapidly navigate through it.
· Background download: Tap "···" or press and hold on the cover of any magazine issue, then choose "Download Issue" to save it, i.e. keep it locally stored on your iPad.
· Storage management: Manage how many magazines the Texture app can hold by tapping on "Storage" in the settings menu.
· Enhancements: Get all the great interactive features of your favorite magazines including video, audio, slideshows, tap-to-reveal active elements, in-article scrolling, quizzes, and embedded web content.
For the first time ever, Texture allows customers to read any magazine they want for one low monthly price. No more keeping track of multiple subscriptions with different prices.
· The Unlimited Premium plan ($14.99 per month) provides access to every magazine in the Texture catalog including weekly titles (such as Entertainment Weekly, People, Sports Illustrated, The New Yorker, and TIME).
· Subscriptions begin with a free trial period. After the free trial, you are billed monthly.
NOTE: Download the Texture app from the iTunes App Store and tap "Start Free Trial" to sign up.
1. Our website can be found at www.texture.com in your iPad's browser.
2. Tap "Catalog" at the top of the screen to see all of the titles Texture offers.
3. Download the Texture app from the iTunes App Store and tap "Start Free Trial" to sign up for your subscription.
1. When you open the app, tap on the "Sign In" button and log in with your Texture account. If you are not yet a Texture customer, tap "Start Free Trial" to sign up.
2. A single personal library: Open the app and see your Favorites library. No more islands of apps for each title with different navigation and look and feel. Now you can browse, manage and read all your favorite magazines in one place.
3. After you have signed up for an unlimited plan, tap on the Categories icon ( ) to browse titles in "All Titles" or in specific categories like "Entertainment".
4. Tap on the empty star ( ) beneath each title you would like to add to Favorites. Use the alphabetical index on the right side of the screen to quickly get to one of the many titles available.5. Your selections will now appear in your Favorites library.
6. Automatic Download: Tap on the settings icon ( ) > "Auto Download" to enable automatic downloading for your favorite titles. If enabled, the app will automatically download the latest new issue of the magazine. Automatic downloads take place over Wi-Fi connections only. When a magazine is downloaded, you can enjoy it without being connected to the Internet. Revisit this menu to disable automatic downloading for a title.
7. Tap on the cover of a title to view the latest issue for that title. Click the underlined name of the title to view back issues.8. As with most rich digital media, you need a good Wi-Fi connection to enjoy all the features of the Texture app. You get the best experience if the magazine has been downloaded prior to opening it. To download an issue, tap "···" or press and hold on the cover of the issue, then choose "Download Issue". A subtle pink progress bar will appear below the cover to indicate if a magazine is stored locally on the tablet.
9. Smart Download: For magazines that have not yet been downloaded, the app instantly begins downloading individual pages the moment you tap on the cover, so the magazine can be opened quickly. When enough of the magazine has been downloaded, it will automatically open. Once inside, if you jump to a page while the magazine is still downloading, the page will be prioritized and immediately downloaded before any other pages. As the page is being downloaded, you will see a low-resolution page preview.
10. The Downloaded page makes it easy to manage magazines stored on your device that can also be read while offline. Tap the "Downloaded" menu icon at the top right of the screen to see the "In Progress" and "Downloaded" sections. Tap "···" or press and hold on the cover of the issue, then choose "Delete Issue" to remove a downloaded issue.
Use the search / Stories & Magazines field ( ) in the upper right corner to search across the entire Texture catalog for any topic that interests you. The Search icon appears in the "Library" and "Categories" screens. There are two sort options, "Best Match" and "Newest". You can also filter search results by magazine, if you do not wish to search our entire catalog.
1. Once you've opened a magazine, you can swipe from page to page or tap on each side of the page to go right or left. Within certain articles, you can scroll or swipe down. Look for navigational cues in each magazine.
2. Enhancements: Many magazines include enhancements. Tap on active elements throughout the magazine to jump to other pages inside the magazine, play videos, view slide shows and much more.
3. Pinch and zoom: Other magazines are high resolution PDF replicas with pinch and zoom capabilities.
4. Tap anywhere on the page that doesn't have interactive elements (such as video, photo galleries and some ads) to view the top and bottom navigation bars.
5. Tap on the section wheel to jump to any section in the magazine.
6. Carousel: Tap on the slider icon ( ) in the bottom navigation bar to enter the unique and beautiful carousel. No more getting lost when navigating. The carousel gives you a new way to rapidly navigate through a magazine, while seeing keywords and more information about each page. You can either drag the slider right or left or directly flip through the pages.
7. You can get back to the library by pressing the magazine title in the top left corner.
To collect, save, print or share pages:
1. Browse to the page you would like to act upon
2. Tap anywhere on the page that doesn't have interactive elements (such as video, photo galleries and some ads) to view the top and bottom navigation bars.3. Tap the Save ( ) button in the top right corner of the screen. From there you can choose which Collection to save the pages in. Click on the "My Collections" tab in your LIbrary view to browse these articles later.
4. Tap the Share ( ) button in the top right corner of the screen. From there you will have the option to Message, Mail, Save Image or Print.
1. Storage Management: Tap on "Settings" in the bottom navigation bar, then tap "Storage". This feature lets you manage how many magazines you want the app to hold. You no longer have to worry about running out of space because of large magazine files. Set your limit once and forget about it. There are four different settings: Use less space, Standard use (recommended), Use more space, and Use maximum space.
Once you reach the storage limit you've set, the app will delete the "earliest read" content first to make space for the new issues. Don't worry, all your magazines are stored in the cloud, and you can always start reading them immediately again with the smart download features.
2. Background download: Tap "···" or press and hold on the cover of the issue, then choose "Download Issue" to save it to your iPad. This action downloads the entire issue and will keep it on the iPad until you delete it (by tapping "···" or pressing and holding the cover of the issue, then choosing "Delete Issue").
3. Under settings you can also manage "Notifications". Check and uncheck if you want an email sent each time a new issue of your selected magazines is available or if you would like to receive push notifications in the app.
Thanks for taking the time to explore Texture. Now, with a single app and unlimited access plans, you can experience enhanced editions of the world's most popular magazines.
here to view the user guide for Texture's previous release.